Monday, July 11, 2011

Old Dogs, New Tricks

Derek's Deconstructed Greek Salad


 
Today was the first day of my new career!  It seems strange to say that at my age.  It’s going to be an enormous change of perspective that will require a whole new set of skills.  I’m really enjoying the challenge, and I often think that learning new things is my favorite pastime and greatest talent, but of course, it’s only my first day.  As I said to someone earlier, “old dogs can learn new tricks, but they need more and better treats.”

My treat this evening was a wonderful meal prepared by Derek, which started with a deconstructed Greek salad.  He garnished it with oregano blossoms and used Brandywine and Juliet tomatoes from our garden, cucumbers from our neighbor’s garden, red onion, several varieties of olives and some feta cheese.  The dressing was light and refreshing, with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and oregano from our herb garden.  The salad was so beautiful and flavorful I honestly would have been satisfied with just that.  It was followed, however, by simple grilled pork chops, grill-roasted potato wedges and Swiss Chard from our garden.  It seems I’ve finally found greens that I enjoy cooked.  :-) They’re much milder and sweeter than collard, mustard or turnip greens.  I hear him in the kitchen now, and it sounds like he’s making homemade ice cream.  I swear the man is trying to fatten me up for the kill…I’d better go!

By the way, he made home-made peach frozen custard with slices of fresh peaches.  It was so wicked good it made me want to slap Shawn's mama.

2 comments:

  1. The salad sounds amazing. Post some pics of your garden, and your food, and of Derek of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to get Derek to take some pictures of the garden and I'll see if he'll let me post any pictures of him. He should. He's cute.

    ReplyDelete